Friday 20 March 2009

Music - one

Have begun to take an interest in music again. Slowly coming back to life. I have Classic FM on in the van and a local rock station "Jack FM" on the Curry delivery van in the evening. I was thinking about the emotions that music can evoke. Like the night in the early 70’s when I was a part of a choir that took part in the very first "Messiah from Scratch" at the Albert Hall. We had been rehearsing for months but were not prepared for the vast numbers of people gathered at the Albert Hall that night. No one knew what to expect. No spectators, we were all performers that night.
We were all directed to our parts of the Hall. The tenors were up near the Organ with a good view of proceedings. I could see several of our choir across the hall amongst the Sopranos, altos and part of the orchestra.
"Right" said the Conductor/Organiser. "Let’s do the Haleluliah Chorus as a warm up, and get right in to it". The blast of sound was breathtaking. It came to life and as the last Amen sounded, for a few seconds there was complete silence, and I was not ashamed that tears were running down my cheeks. I noticed that others were similarly overcome. There was uproar after that and it took a little while for things to calm down before one of the most emotional nights of my life. I still get choked up when I hear the Messiah.
Cheers
Mog

No comments:

Post a Comment