Sunday 8 March 2009

Ball point pens

In the modern digital world, it's easy to forget that we need the humble ball point. The information about how many papers we order, receive and the different numbers of each we need for the rounds are all computerised now. So all we need to do is open the bundles and count the papers into the various heaps. Then the fun begins ! We then take a round and the computerised round sheet. Lay the papers out and we then need to mark up each paper with the name or house number. This now involves the aforesaid ball point pen. Having cunningly hidden the best writing one on a stock shelf, behind the tins of dog food you think - no problemo ! Rats its gone !! "All right, who's nicked me pen?" blank look from Jim ! "No idea", "What did it look like?" - "You know. It was the Christmas promotion one from the Curry house" "Ah, that one. I saw it out by the tills last night !" Quick search of the till area - no sign. "Find another" Says Jim. Easier said than done. You would think that in a fairly large general store a pen would not be difficult to find. At this point the boss comes in "What's the problem?" "Why aren't the rounds started?" "Some one's pinched me pen" says I. "What's it look like?" says the boss. "You know, the Christmas promotional one from the Curry house"
"Ah", says he "It was in the kitchen yesterday afternoon. One of the girls was using it to write out the bread order" Another search, no trace. Eventually find an old leaky "Bic" and moodily mark up the rounds, muttering "$%^&**** to myself. Early turn till person comes in. Goes to sign in and "AH HA" he pulls out my "special" pen. "Gizz it, you hairy tea leaf"
"Wot?" says he (an early morning intellectual) "Me special pen", "I'll cut your hand off at the wrist, you thieving git"Injured innocence. "The boss gave me this yesterday. It was in the staff toilet and I needed one to take a special phone order.""I hid it behind the dog food after doing the rounds yesterday" "How did it get into the staff loo?" "No idea, but as possession is nine points of the law, I got it and I'm keeping it" Re-enter the boss, with a large box of new, retractable ball points, all shiny and with nice clean ball points etc. "I'm tired of all this business about pens, so I went to Office World and bought a box of them". All serene for about a week no problems, all rounds marked up, no problem finding a pen. THEN the cry goes up - "Where's me pen!!" GONE AND NEVER CALLED ME MOTHER !!!! and the great ball point hunt begins again

No comments:

Post a Comment